The repercussions of a divorce can be devastating. The negative effects can be experienced through financial stress, as well as emotional trauma.
Given the economic complexities of divorce, more individuals and attorneys are relying on financial planners who specialize in these transitions to help sort through the monetary consequences. Through her training as a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, Melanie can analyze and provide expertise on financial issues of divorce, helping to facilitate equitable divorce settlements and provide emotional support and guidance throughout the process.
Some of the factors she will take into consideration include, but are not limited to:
• Determining tax implications on the sale of the marital home and real estate.
• Determining if the client can afford to retain the marital home, and if not, what amount they can afford.
• Determining earnings capabilities and cash flow needs.
• Establishing assumptions for projected inflation and rate of return on investments.
• Analyzing pension benefits and retirement plan allocations.
Because of her strong working knowledge of the fiscal issues related to divorce, Melanie can lend considerable support to the legal team in the divorce litigation process. With this information, she can provide the client and attorney with projections that show the financial impact of proposed divorce settlements.
If you are going through a major life transition such as divorce, Melanie’s experience and expertise could provide significant value and confidence at a time when it is much needed.
Melanie Colwell, CFP®, CDFA®